How to reheat Mac and cheese
Mac and cheese are one of the most popular meals of all time! It is versatile, tasty, and easy to make, which is why it is so popular among many who want a quick snack. Some people even have Mac and Cheese as part of dinner, and that is because the gooey, cheesy creaminess of Mac and cheese goes so well with many other side dishes that you’ll be able to have a wholesome meal with this as your main dish.
Even the pickiest eaters are completely satiable with a great bowl of Mac and cheese, but its goodness comes from the cheesy, stringy, and gooeyness everyone is familiar with. Once it becomes leftover food, it no longer has this feature which is why many people might believe that Mac and cheese cannot be eaten as a leftover meal.
Well, there’s good news for all those Mac and cheese lovers out there! The truth is that you can have leftover Mac and cheese. You need to know the correct way to reheat it and return it to its former glory of all the ooey, gooey goodness.
Here are some of the different ways you can reheat Mac and cheese the right way:
Mac and cheese are typically cooked on the stovetop, so you can also repeat this process when reheating it. This method is best suited if you reheat a small Mac and cheese batch. Ensure you always have your stovetop on low heat to avoid burning the dish.
You can follow these steps to get perfectly heated Mac and cheese on a stovetop:
- Get a saucepan or skillet big enough to accommodate the serving of Mac and cheese you are trying to reheat. Remember that you should not preheat the saucepan or the skillet, as this can cause your Mac and cheese to burn.
- Place the Mac and cheese onto the saucepan
- Add a few tablespoons of milk to the Mac and cheese, depending on how much you reheat. One tablespoon for one cup of Mac and cheese.
- Keep the flame on simmer or low heat and start to stir the mixture gently
- Keep adding more milk if you think the mix is too dry but don’t add too much. Add it in small tablespoons.
- Once the Mac and cheese are heated to your desired temperature, remove them from the flame and serve.
Many people make Mac and cheese in the oven when they first make it. So it only makes sense that when you attempt to reheat the dish, you cook it the same way you cooked it.
Follow these steps to use the oven for reheating your Mac and Cheese:
- Take your Mac and cheese out of the fridge and let it get to room temperature.
- While you’re waiting for this, preheat the oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Put the leftovers into an oven-safe dish.
- Add a teaspoon or two of milk, depending on how much Mac and cheese you reheat. For example, add one teaspoon of milk for every cup of Mac and cheese. This will help retain the moisture in the Mac and cheese.
- Stir it together with a wooden spoon and cover it with foil before you pop it into the oven
- Let it sit on low heat for about 20 minutes, and take it out of the oven.
- Remove the foil and pop it back into the oven for another 8-10 minutes. You can add some cheese on top as well. This will give you a nice and crisp crust.
Using a microwave to reheat Mac and cheese is easily the most common way people do it. However, the challenge is that you must ensure that the Mac and cheese are still soft and moist all the way through.
To properly use the microwave to reheat your Mac and cheese, you can follow these steps:
- Put your leftover Mac and cheese into a microwave-safe dish
- Add a few tablespoons of milk to the Mac and cheese. Add as much as you need as per the amount of Mac and cheese you reheat.
- If you want your dish to have more creaminess, you can substitute the milk for cream.
- Mix it well and cover with another microwave-safe lid
- Pop it into the microwave and let it heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Take it out and give it a good stir again.
- Put it back into the microwave and let it heat again for a few more seconds or one minute.
- Repeat this process until you know that every part of the Mac and cheese is heated adequately.
For extra flavor, you can add some cheese at the end and pop it in the microwave for 30 more seconds.